Benefits of Trade with Canada and Mexico
The United States is the world’s largest economy and the largest exporter and importer of goods and services. Trade is critical to America’s prosperity – fueling economic growth, supporting good jobs at home, raising living standards and helping Americans provide for their families with affordable goods and services. It is also critical to recognize and expand the many benefits U.S. trade with Canada and Mexico has created – and continues to create – for American businesses, workers and consumers.
– Reached nearly $1.4 trillion last year, or $3.8 billion daily;
– Supports 12 million American jobs in every state in the union;
– Is vital for U.S. manufacturers, who export more made-in-America manufactured goods to Canada and Mexico than they do to the next 11 largest export markets combined;
– Accounts for nearly one-third of U.S. agricultural exports;
Powered growth in U.S. services exports from $27 billion in 1993 to $91 billion in 2017;
– Fuels growth among U.S. small and medium-size businesses, more than 120,000 of which sell their goods and services in our two North American neighbors.